wnol.info July 22 2018

Islamic State Attack In Kabul Ended, Three Militants Reported Killed

July 22 2018, 11:55 | Irvin Gilbert

Image Credit TOLO News Kabul

Image Credit TOLO News Kabul

Nasrat Rahimi, deputy spokesman for the Afghan Interior Ministry, said that a cleanup operation was now under way in the Afshar area of kabul after after militants on December 18 stormed a partially constructed building near an intelligence training center, triggering intense fighting with security forces.

Initial reports indicate the attackers were wearing police uniforms, he added. The militants took up positions at the construction site in order to fire down on the training centre.

The Daesh group claimed the attack in a statement carried by its Aamaq news agency, saying two fighters had attacked an intelligence centre in Kabul.

A powerful ISIS affiliate has emerged in Afghanistan in recent years that is largely made up of disgruntled former Taliban insurgents.

Afghan special forces swiftly arrived and encircled the building to try to neutralize the attackers, interior ministry spokesman Nusrat Rahimi told VOA.

Security in Kabul has been ramped up since May 31 when a massive truck bomb ripped through the city's diplomatic quarter, killing about 150 and wounding around 400 people, mostly civilians.

Hannibal Buress Arrested in Miami After Heated Argument with Cops
However, Miami Beach is hosting the Art Basel global art fair this weekend, which draws celebrities from around the world. The officer said Buress then went into a bar, and the officer asked him to leave, saying he was too drunk.

No one immediately claimed the attack, which took place in the provincial capital, Lashkar Gah. At least nine people were killed and more than 50 injured in the blast in the southwestern city of Quetta. No one immediately claimed responsibility for either blast.

Hassamudin Safi, a police officer in Kabul's Police District 5, said the standoff ended after several hours at around 3 p.m. and clearance operations were ongoing.

The ISIS gunmen were armed with RPG's and other light weapons, and were able to engage in a lengthy firefight with the security guards.

Two policemen were wounded in the attack, Kabul police confirmed.

No group, including the Afghan Taliban, has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Other news