wnol.info November 23 2017


Trump's tweets unlikely to slow down NY terror case

November 23 2017, 08:31 | Irvin Gilbert

New York attacker should be put to death, says Donald Trump

Trump calls New York attack suspect an 'animal' and signals scrapping lottery visa scheme

"Would love to send the NYC terrorist to Guantanamo but statistically that process takes much longer than going through the Federal system".

Lawyers for the suspect in the NY attack, Sayfullo Saipov, nearly certainly will argue that Trump's two tweets saying Saipov should get the "DEATH PENALTY" will make it harder for their client to receive a fair trial or sentence.

Overnight Mr Trump tweeted that Sayfullo Saipov, 29, should be sent to Guantánamo Bay detention camp and get the death penalty.

Sanders said the Trump administration considers Saipov to be an "enemy combatant", but stressed that no decision had been made about how to prosecute him or where he would be detained.

Some legal experts on Thursday said judges in Manhattan's federal courts will not let the president's remarks slow the case or throw it off track, especially in a courthouse with a quarter-century record of swift terrorism prosecutions with mostly airtight outcomes.

Trump tweeted Thursday that there is "also something appropriate" about keeping Saipov "in the home of the terrible crime he committed".

US President Donald Trump has reiterated his call for the death penalty for Sayfullo Saipov, an Uzbek national charged as the perpetrator of the NY terrorist attack.

He also told investigators he believed the attack was a success - and he asked to fly the ISIS flag in his hospital room.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving member of a pair of ethnic Chechen brothers who killed three people and wounded more than 260 when they bombed the 2013 Boston Marathon in an attack inspired by the al Qaeda militant group, was sentenced to death in 2015.

President Donald Trump's tweets calling for the death penalty for the man charged in the NY truck rampage could give defence attorneys grounds to argue that Trump has poisoned the minds of potential jurors.

By Thursday morning, Trump himself said Saipov would be prosecuted in NY, which the president said would be faster than subjecting him to a military tribunal at Guantanamo.

Trump responded to the attack by pledging to increase vetting of immigrants entering the U.S. He also promised Wednesday to end the visa program that allowed the suspect into the country.

"If there was ever a candidate to be held as an enemy combatant for intelligence gathering purposes, it is Sayfullo Saipov - a self-declared 'Soldier of the Caliphate, '" Graham said in a statement.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said it had located another Uzbek man, Mukhammadzoir Kadirov, 32, wanted for questioning as a person of interest in the attack. A 31-year-old Belgian mother was also among the dead and 12 other people were wounded in the worst attack in NY since the September 11, 2001 Al-Qaeda hijackings.

Even so, Trump's attorney general, Jeff Sessions, on Thursday left open the possibility that Guantanamo detention could remain an option.

Trump has been quick to politicize the NY attack, blaming an immigration policy known as the Diversity Visa Lottery Program for allowing Saipov into the United States. During the Halloween attack, he killed eight people by driving over them in a pickup truck.

New York City police earlier in the day said that Saipov had carried out the attack according to instructions he found posted online by Daesh, on whose behalf he claimed to have acted.



Other news