wnol.info November 22 2017


Ireland set to miss out on Rugby World Cup 2023

November 22 2017, 01:35 | Guillermo Bowen

Rugby League World Cup double header. Ireland v Italy and Scotland v Tonga at Barlow Park Cairns. Island's Liam Kay

Rugby League World Cup double header. Ireland v Italy and Scotland v Tonga at Barlow Park Cairns. Island's Liam Kay

In it, the board recommends their host for 2023 tournament and it will surely have a bearing on the final council decision, announced in London on November 15.

Bill Beaumont, chairman of World Rugby and the Rugby World Cup, said: "The comprehensive and independently scrutinised evaluation reaffirmed that we have three exceptional bids but it also identified South Africa as a clear leader based on performance against the key criteria, which is supported by the board in the recommendation".

South Africa's cities and stadia - many built for the 2010 FIFA World Cup - swung the decision their way, with Ireland ranking bottom in all criteria. That '95 World Cup is still ranked by many as the best ever, both for the emotion that surrounded the tournament and for its relative financial success.

The reports will come as a major blow to Irish hopes given that the Emerald remained the bookmakers' favourite to host the tournament as recently as this morning.

Japan is the 2019 World Cup host.

The 2023 World Cup coincides with the 200th anniversary of the birth of the game.

Vision And Hosting Concept Weighting (10%) 7.06% 6.75% 6.25%.

France scored 75.9 per cent while Ireland trailed on 72.3 per cent.

For Roux, South Africa's state of preparedness made them an attractive option.

French Rugby Federation president Bernard Laporte told a news conference that he was "surprised, shaken. a little bit shocked as well" with the outcome of the evaluation.

Despite their readmission in 1992 to worldwide rugby, after years of apartheid-enforced sporting isolation, South Africa used home advantage so well that the debutants reached the World Cup final in 1995.

Ireland has vowed to "compete to the final whistle", adding "nothing in the report is insurmountable". Durban was stripped of the games after being awarded them because of a lack of financial guarantees. A lot of political capital had been invested in the bid - which had cross-border support from all the Northern Irish political parties and even British Prime Minister Theresa May throwing her support behind it - with Prime Minister Leo Varadkar coming to London for the final presentations last month. "In line with World Rugby's mission to deliver a ground-breaking, rigorous and fully transparent host selection process for its showcase event, the report is being published today as agreed by Council".

"We absolutely believe Ireland can secure the tournament for 2023", Spring said.



Other news