wnol.info August 23 2017


Charlie Gard's Parents Withdraw Legal Challenge

August 23 2017, 10:59 | Irvin Gilbert

Staff at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London have received death threats in relation to the Charlie Gard case

Staff at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London have received death threats in relation to the Charlie Gard case

Grant Armstrong, representing Chris Gard and Connie Yates, told the High Court that Charlie's parents had made the devastating decision after a U.S. doctor said it was too late for the baby to undergo the experimental nucleoside therapy, which his parents hoped would treat his mitochondrial depletion syndrome.

In court on Monday, Armstrong, the parents' lawyer said Hirano had been willing to provide the experimental treatment until he looked at the results of the latest MRI scan of Charlie's brain.

"We have decided it is no longer in Charlie's best interests to pursue treatment and we will let our son go", father Chris Gard said outside court.

"All we wanted to do was take Charlie from one world-renowned hospital to another", Mr Yates said.

"Charlie has waited patiently for treatment". The couple's lawyer said the "window of opportunity has been lost" during the prolonged legal battle.

Last week the American specialist, Dr Michio Hirano, a professor of neurology at Columbia University Medical Centre in NY, travelled to London to examine Charlie for the first time and discuss the case with Great Ormond Street doctors.

Hospital chairwoman Mary MacLeod said the London police have been contacted because of numerous threats received by the hospital's employees in the case.

'This case is now about time, ' said their barrister Grant Armstrong, adding: 'Sadly time has run out'.

Charlie suffers from a muscular condition that doctors say is untreatable and terminal. Since then, Charlie has remained on life support, and received offers from help from both President Trump and Pope Francis.

"It seems right that we should try and make sure that no-one gives that sort of opinion to the court without having had the full information in front of them, or the hope that's held out to parents is just spurious".

The Charlie's Fight campaign thanked people for their "unwavering support" during the legal battle that has lasted for more than three months and reached the UK Supreme Court.

Supporters of critically ill baby Charlie Gard and his parents shout slogans during a demonstration outside the High Court in central London on Monday. The court previously ruled that Gard's life-support machine should be switched off and that he should be allowed die with "dignity".

'We will always know in our hearts that we did our very best for Charlie and we hope he is proud of us.

The judge has scheduled a two-day hearing to consider fresh evidence, after the doctor who was to conduct the treatment came to London to evaluate the child.

Mr Justice Francis paid tribute to the family and said no-one could comprehend their agony.

Ms Yates said: Despite conflicting issues, we have always had the utmost respect for all the staff who work tirelessly at Great Ormond Street Hospital and the very hard jobs they do every day.



Other news