Weekly Review: Sensex, Nifty hit new peak during the week
Abbas Urges Jared Kushner to Pressure Israel Into removing Metal Detectors
Coffee recalled over ingredient similar to Viagra
House GOP Budget Would Tie Tax Reform to Spending Cuts
OJ Simpson to ask for early release from prison this evening
Charlie Gard's parents begin new legal bid to secure U.S. treatment
July 22 2017, 10:42 | Irvin Gilbert
"Killing Is Not The Answer Says Brother Of US's Charlie Gard
GOSH determined that he should be taken off his life support.
Judge Nicholas Francis said a new court date has been set for Thursday.
The decision comes after a team of seven global medical experts alerted the hospital that fresh, unpublished data suggested that an experimental drug could improve Charlie's brain condition.
But doctors said it was "right to explore" any new evidence and said they were seeking the court's view.
Meanwhile, Conservative Woman writer Caroline Farrow said the claims of Charlie's parents are "not fundamentally outrageous or unreasonable". At one point, the baby's father, Chris Gard, yelled at a barrister representing the hospital: "When are you going to start telling the truth?"
On Friday, U.S. Reps Brad Wenstrup (R-Ohio) and Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) announced plans to introduce legislation as soon as Congress resumes after its July 4 recess this week that would grant Charlie and his parents lawful permanent residence in the U.S.
Baby Charlie Gard's parents have collected a total of 350,000 signatures in support for new treatment to help save their baby's life.
Under a High Court ruling, the hospital is forbidden from allowing Charlie to be transferred for nucleoside therapy anywhere.
It comes after a proposal by Pope Francis to give Charlie a Vatican passport so he can be flown there for potentially life-saving treatment. It reads: "It is unacceptable that you have refused to follow the wishes of his parents and have instead made a decision to remove his life support, which will kill him". A USA hospital has offered to ship the drug needed for the therapy to Britain for Charlie.
The boy is battling mitochondrial depletion syndrome, a rare genetic disease that affects his energy production and respiration, and the court had been expected to decide today whether the wishes of Charlie's parents to pursue the experimental treatment will be granted.
Speaking to reporters, Connie said that Charlie has a 10% chance of survival if he receives treatment in the United States - and that that's "a chance worth taking".
Their previous legal attempts have failed as judges in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in London ruled in favour of GOSH doctors, while the European Court of Human Rights declined to hear the couple's appeal.
"Not only that, but they said it would be futile and would prolong Charlie's suffering". The hospital says that he has severe brain damage, can not move or breathe by himself, is deaf and has epilepsy.
He told them he wanted to know what had changed with the 11-month-old's condition and said he would make decisions on the basis of "clear evidence". "It's got up to 10 percent chance of working for Charlie, and we feel that that's a chance worth taking", Connie Yates said of the treatment.