wnol.info December 18 2017


Philippine Police Identify Manila Casino Attacker

December 18 2017, 06:32 | Irvin Gilbert

Philippine Police Identify Manila Casino Attacker

Philippine Police Identify Manila Casino Attacker

Reports say Carlos was sacked from his Department of Financing job in 2014 "for grave misconduct and neglect of duty" because he failed to disclosed multiple items, including a house, vehicle, and other business interests.

"What if we establish the identity and there are leads that will lead toward terrorism?"

"As we always maintained, this was not an act of terrorism", Philippine National Police Office Director Oscar Albayalde said at a news conference in Manila.

Jessie Javier Carlos' mother and father joined the Manila police at a June 3 press conference and requested that the public forgive their son's actions.

He had been sacked from the finance department in 2014 for corruption, having been investigated since 2011 for a scam involving tax credits in exchange for kickbacks. He lost his farm lots and Ford Ranger pickup truck.

"He has a bank account with an outstanding debt of 4 million pesos ($80,000) and several other non-bank related debt", the officer said.

The suspect, a father of three children, was separated from his wife due to a misunderstanding over his gambling addiction.

The Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) and the Management Association of the Philippines (MAP) agreed with the President saying, the incident in Resorts World Manila does not present "just cause" for imposing martial law in Metro Manila. He was not insane, but he was unstable.

"You are no longer in your right mind when you are addicted", he said.

Although the attacker was well armed — Albayalde said he was carrying 90 bullets in three rifle clips — there are no confirmed reports that he shot any civilians.

He was then seen taking a lift to the second floor, where he took out his rifle as he bypassed a security check at the entrance and began shooting at ceilings and walls on the way to the gaming area.

He forced his way into a room where casino chips were stored, and stuffed his bag with chips worth 113 million pesos. According to local reports, numerous victims suffocated due to the smoke. At least 37 patrons and employees died, mostly from smoke inhalation as they tried to hide, while the gunman fled to an adjoining hotel and reportedly killed himself. "Kaya humihingi rin po kami ng tawad sa mga na-disgrasya ng anak ko (That's why we beg for forgiveness to those who were harmed and killed by my son's actions)". But since he started playing at the casinos, that's all he did. "The government, private sector and media must be more prepared so that we can save more lives and assure visitors and investors that these things will never happen again", Perfecto added.

"We are looking at the taxi driver who may be able to identify him".

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack, but Philippine police said they believed it had been a robbery gone wrong.

In a text message to reporters, Presidential Spokesman Ernesto C. Abella said what transpired in Resorts World Manila last Friday is nothing more but a criminal act.



Other news