Inside the executive order that would've yanked the US out of Nafta
Trump to Sign Measures to Review Financial Regulation
Trump Not Pulling Out of NAFTA 'at This Time'
VERIFY: Buy American, Hire American - what does executive order actually do?
Here's Why Oil Prices Dipped to almost $50 Today
Budget Cuts Potentially Impacting Meals on Wheels
April 30 2017, 06:42 | Alonzo Simpson
Feed homebound seniors, or build a wall?
There's also peer-reviewed research on the effectiveness of Meals on Wheels. "It is of concern to us", said Melody McDermitt, executive director of Meals and Wheels, which operates Meals and Wheels in Waco and offers other services.
President Trump's budget plan would cut $3 billion in federal community block grants given to states, which is then distributed to programs like Meals on Wheels.
One element of President Trump's budget proposal could sharply reduce funding for Meals on Wheels, which delivers almost a million meals a day to the sick and elderly. "My view, the Meals on Wheels passes the test". The fear factor in the USA needs to stop.
Waco's Meals on Wheels program delivers about 190,000 meals per year, and about 50 people in McLennan, Falls and Hill counties are on a waiting list to get in the program, McDermitt said. And we need you.
A program which keeps seniors in their homes, and out of taxpayer-funded care facilities, would seem to be a worthwhile public expenditure.
Although Human Services Association accepts some philanthropic contributions and voluntary donations, Dunaway said the charity needs federal dollars received through Los Angeles County government to maintain its operations.
The fact sheet goes on to note that 37 percent of funding comes through the OAA, however, "state, local, private donations and other resources" cover the remaining 63 percent of the funding that is needed.
"I see a lot of people who are continually grateful that we are there, not only because they just get a meal", delivery driver Brian Jones said. The exact amount varies depending on the local office, Bertolette said. He explains how Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) actually work and why they aren't as closely tied to Meals on Wheels as the press (or pork barrel loving politicians) would have you believe.
"This would be very sad", Solley said of any funding cuts which would affect meals for senior citizens and others.
"Meals on Wheels serves 500,000 veterans each year".
There's no certainty that Meals on Wheels will lose funding. Marietta said 205 meals are provided daily through the CAAC, with the rest of the food purchased from hospitals, nursing homes and restaurants through the city.
"These gifts will help fund our national advocacy efforts and awareness campaigns that support the network of 5,000 senior nutrition programs across the country", she said. "To think of a cut, any amount of cut is really risky".
How will Meals on Wheels fare in the Long Beach area if proposed federal budget cuts are enacted into law? "This budget would add insult to injury".
"The federal government has spent over $150 billion on this block grant since its inception in 1974, but the program is not well-targeted to the poorest populations and has not demonstrated results", the authors of the budget blueprint say.
Others pointed out that the cuts to a number of welfare programmes were being made to balance out a significant increase in defence spending, or to the estimated cost of Melania Trump's decision to stay in NY so son Barron did not have to change school - somewhere in the region of $300,000 per day.
"We're just blessed to live in a community that supports what we do", Gerlach said.
"We can't spend money on programs just because they sound good", said Mulvaney.
Cuts to the program nationally could have unforeseen consequences, she said.